Home to many of New Zealand’s national performing arts companies, as well as international touring shows, the Isaac Theatre Royal (ITR) is host to hundreds of thousands of patrons a year. Opera, theater, modern and classical music, children’s shows and more are presented in this beautiful historic house, considered one of the finest in the southern hemisphere when it opened. The original Theatre Royal dates back to 1863 has long been a beloved institution in the country and anchors the community of Christchurch, the second largest city in New Zealand.
Over 100 years old, the third and current structure housing ITR suffered major damage during the earthquakes of February and June 2011. After extensive rebuilding, it re-opened in November 2014, retaining much of the historic design and detail for which its known.
With the renovation came a new website, and developer Comfort Creations chose TheatreCMS and WordPress to power the new web presence. We are thrilled to play a part in this institution’s next chapter and wish them prosperity for the next 100 years and beyond.
- Website: http://isaactheatreroyal.co.nz/
- TheatreCMS since: Fall 2014
- Web Developer: Comfort Creations, modified Proscenium theme
- Size of venue: 1,290 (Auditorium); 120 (Gloucester Room)
- Type of productions: International touring shows, musicals, concerts, recitals, community and school events and children’s theatre.